What is Human Resource Planning
What is Human Resource Planning. Human Resource Planning is a process of deciding in advance what is to be -done in future regarding human resources of an organization. It deals with the activities and steps to be taken in regard to demand for and supply of human resources as well as their proper utilization.
Human Resource Planning includes the determination of existing human resource needs and finding out the ways of procuring the human resource to be needed for the organization. That is Human Resource Planning is a blue print of existing human resources and required number of human resources in future.
Human resource planning is the key between a firm’s strategic plan and its overall human resource management function. The human resource plan is a projection of how the fire plan acquires and utilizes human resource. Human resource planning is the sum total of the plan formulated for the recruiting, screening, compensation, training, job designing, and work rules of an organization’s human resources. It is a process deigned to translate the corporate plans and objective into future quantitative and qualitative employment requirement, together with plans to fulfill that requirement.
However, definitions of human resource planning given by some authors are as follows:
- Robbins defines HRP as “The process by which an organization ensures that it has the right number and kind of people at the places, at the right time capable of effectively and efficiently completing these tasks that will help the organization achieve its overall objectives”.
- Vetter defines HRP as “The process by which management determines how the organization should move from its current manpower position to its desire manpower position”.
- According to Tripathi “Human resource planning may be defined as a strategy for the procurement, development, allocation, and utilization of an enterprise’s human resources”.
- HRP has also been defined by Cascio as follows “Human resource planning broadly, is an effort to anticipate future business and environmental demands on the organization and to meet the human resource requirements dictated by these conditions”.
- In the words of Coleman Bruce, “HRP is the process of determining manpower requirements and the means of meeting those requirements in order to carry out the integrated plan of the organization”.
- According to William F. Glueck, “Human resource planning is the process by which management attempts to provide adequate human resources to achieve organization objectives”.
- Milkovich has defined, “Human resource planning is a process by which management determines how the organization should move from its current human resource conditions to its desired human resource conditions”. It then translates the organization’s objectives and plans into number of people needed to meet those activities. Through planning, management makes a balance between demand for and supply of right number and kind’s people at the right time It is a supply and demand calculation. Manpower is an asset; it is asset which appreciates-which grows over day by day. Machines depreciate as time goes on.
By consulting the above definitions, we can get some elements of HRP. These elements are listed in the following points:
- Establishing and recognizing the future job requirements
- Identifying deficiency in terms of quantity
- Identifying deficiency in terms of quality and specification
- Identifying the sources of right type of man
- Developing the available manpower and
- Ensuring the effective utilization of work force a manpower plan must be a set of two plans: a manpower demand plan and manpower supply plan.
What is Human Resource Planning