Sources of Recruitment of Employees
Sources of Recruitment of Employees. Recruiting is more likely to achieve its objectives if recruiting sources reflect the type of position to be field. Certain recruiting sources are more effective than others for filling certain types of jobs.
Generally there are five sources of recruitment, which are discussed below:
A. Internal Sources –
Employees can be recruited firstly from the internal source. Management is usually interested to recruit known and experienced employees from within the organization. Because management knows the performed, skills and efficiency, sincerity and commitment and the like of internal employees.
Therefore they can easily recruit employees from within the same organization.
In the following ways recruitment from the internal source may take place:
- Temporary assignment
- Additional assignment
Advantages of Internal Sources –
There are many advantages of internal source. For the purpose of explaining the advantages we have identified several points.
These points are as follows:
- Good public relations
- Less costly
- Already know the organization
- Probability of good selection
- Contacts with suppliers
- Employee loyalty
- Honesty is insured
- Sense of security
- Benefits of time and costs
- Employment stability.
Disadvantages of Internal Sources –
Internal source of recruitment of human resource suffers from a number of disadvantages.
These disadvantages can be mentioned in the following points:
- Others may feel frustrated
- Limited scope for external people.
- Narrow outlook
- Pressure of trade union
- Slackness to duties
B. External Sources of Recruitment –
There are some external sources of human resource recruitment. These sources are classified into several sub points. These sub points can again be divided into sub-sub points.
The classification is shown below:
l. Advertisements –
- Internal vs. public advertisements
- Placards for blue-collar employees but national dailies for managerial position
- Dispersal of advertisements: -The higher the position in the organization; The more specialized the skills.
- To ensure equal opportunity enforcement,
- Factors influencing the response rate: Identification of the organization and Labor market condition. The degree to which specific requirements are included in the advertisements.
2. Employee agencies –
- Public agencies and
- Private employment agencies.
3. Schools, Colleges and Universities –
- High schools,
4. Professional organizations –
- Labor Unions,
- Management associations,
- Accountants associations,
- Women’s associations,
- Medical associations.
5. Casual or Unsolicited Applicants –
- Unemployed candidates;
- Outgoing graduates;
- Candidates who have not applied for the jobs;
- Temporary workers;
Benefits of External Recruitment
There are a few benefits of external environment. If all the sources are properly exploited, these benefits can be enjoyed. These are as follows:
- Potentials employees
- Employment opportunity
- Training of Internal employees
- Change of traditional outlook;
Demerits of External Recruitment –
Unlike the above benefits, external recruitment process suffers from some limitations or demerits. These demerits can be classified into five types, which are enumerated below:
- Pressure from different corners
- Procedural hazards
- Time consuming and costly
- Conflict among the employees
C. Employee Referrals / Recommendations
It may be defined by DeCenzo and Robbins as a recommendation from a current employee regarding a job applicant. Employee referrals are an excellent means of locating potentials candidates for first hand to fill vacant positions. The third source of recruitment is employee referrals and recommendations. For the collection of human. resource of the organization, the following sources can be exploited:
- a. Recommendation from the current employees.
- b. Recommendation from. the retired employees.
D. Alternatives to Recruitment –
The forth source of recruitment is alternatives to recruitment. DeCenzo and Robbins have identified a few sources under this caption.
These are as follows:
- Temporary help services: Temporary employees are particularly valuable in meeting short term fluctuations in HRM needs. For the purpose of recruiting temporary nurses, computer programmers, accountants, librarians, drafting technicians, administrative assistant, and even chief executives this source can be used.
- Employee leasing: Under this method individuals hired by one firm and sent to work in another for specific time. Leased employees typically remained with an organization for longer times Under a leasing arrangement, individuals work for the leasing firm
- Independent contractors: Often referred to as consultants, independent contractors are taking on a new meaning. Companies may hire independent contractors to do specific work at a location on or off the company’s premises.
E. Cyberspace Recruiting –
Visit our another post to see the Detail of Cyberspace Recruiting.