Quality Circle and Productivity
Quality circle as a method was developed & introduced in Japan by Dr. Kaoru Ishikawa who has gone into history as the father of Quality Circle. Since inception in 1962 in Japan it has become very popular & effective tool of quality and productivity improvement. QC in an extension of Mc Grrgor’s Y theory which espoused that average employees
are as talented as managers and so can immensely contribute to achieving organization effectiveness. Employee participation in decision making process of an organizational remained a century old dream of social scientists & philosophers. Japan under the leadership of Ishikawa and inspired by Dr. Deaming & Dr. Juran realized the dream. The objective of QC is to involve rank and file workers and employees in using their talent & creativity in solving production and quality related problems of their own floor in addition to doing their own job. This involvement of workers in decision making process fuels a sense of belongingness between the employees. By solving a problem a worker enjoys a high degree of pride and draws respect and dignity from the colleagues and supervisors. This recognition in turn infuses motivation to employees.
Quality Circle rids worker of the status of a mechanical tool & pushes him/her to the status of an honorable member. Contribution of QC can be summarized by following:
- QC lends one a chance to use one talent & creativity to promote organizational goals.
- QC enables one to fetch right recognition from the top management. Success in QC fills worker’s mind with pride, honor and dignity.
- QC brings an employee right job satisfaction and self- actualization.
- QC teaches a worker how to work in a team & infuses team spirit.
- QC enables workers to solve most of the problems themselves.
- QC thus makes all workers & employees some sort of preachers and innovators.
- QC thus helps making relationship between workers-workers and worker-management congenial and smooth.
Quality Circles thus make a proud, satisfied and motivated workforce who is loyal, united and inspired to achieve organizational goal. This eventually leads to attaining better quality, higher productivity and desired organizational effectiveness. Most of the organization in Japan has implemented QC and it has become very popular outside Japan. Bangladeshi organization or industry may immensely benefit from the implementation of QC in the floors. This may boost productivity, quality, workers loyalty and job satisfaction. Job satisfaction at workplace will go a long way in solving the current worker agitation and anarchy in organization.